The Band Division was formed in March 1958 and in November of that year gave its first public performance at Forte Charles in Port Royal. It was founded by English Band Master, Superintendent C.T. Beare, M.EB.E., who was appointed Director of Music.
In 1962, the JCF Band made its first overseas tour in Grand Cayman. Since then, the Band has also performed in the United States of America.
The function of the Band Division is to provide entertainment to the citizens of Jamaica and neighbouring countries. It provides the foundation for dual acceptance between the people and the police and allows residents to see the police as a professional body genuinely concerned with their safety and security.
The Band Division over the years has developed community outreach programmes to include, music lessons for youths, homework assistance, police youth club activities as well as providing motivational speakers for troubled youths.