Frequently asked questions

We want people who are up for a challenge – physically and mentally – who want to give back to the community, and who align with our core values.

Honesty, integrity and professional standards such as cooperation and mutual respect are characteristics we require in our members.

We are looking for people with:

  • High Levels of Motivation
  • Integrity
  • Discipline
  • A commitment to working with the community



  • Between 18-30 years of age


  Male Female
Height Minimum 5feet 7inches Minimum 5feet 5inches
Weight Minimum – 135lbs Minimum – 125lbs
The recruiting officer has the authority to waive the above guidelines based on special circumstances and the applicant.


  • Be a Jamaican citizen

Security Vetting / Clearance

  • All applicants will be thoroughly vetted before and after being accepted into training
  • Various sections within the JCF will also be conducting investigations on behalf of the recruiting office

Physical, Medical and Psychological Requirements

  • Meet the medical and psychological standards for the Jamaica Constabulary Force
  • Be physically fit and healthy and able to undertake the physical requirements of training

Educational Requirements Each applicant must produce documentary proof of his/her qualifications. At present the minimum requirements is 4 subjects in:

  • CXC/CSEC – at grades 1-3 (grade 3 acceptable after 1998) or
  • GCE O’Level – at grades of A – C or
  • SSC – grades at ranges 4 and 5

Any other qualifications that are equivalent to the aforementioned and so approved by the Caribbean Examination Council (CXC) or University Council of Jamaica (UCJ). Passes must include Mathematics (or a math based subject – Accounts, Physics or Chemistry) and English Language (mandatory).

NB: JSC and lower educational qualifications are not accepted. Note also that certification received overseas must be accredited in Jamaica. Applicants are required to obtain the requisite accreditation from the office of the UCJ.

Applicants who present tertiary level certification (eg. first and or second degrees) are required to sit the entry level exam. Where the applicant possess other qualifications such as certificate or diploma in addition to less than the four subjects required, the recruiting officer may conduct a brief interview with him/her and determine whether based on the transcript of these certification, the candidate may be granted permission to sit the exam.

The first step in the recruiting process is completing the Online Application Form. Once complete you print and take the completed form to a recruiting center where it will be checked along with supporting documents afer which you mayb be given a date to sit the entrance test.

The following documents are required when visiting the recruiting office.

  • Four (4) CXC subjects including English and Maths or person with pass in Accounts or Physics.
  • Academic or skills certificate(s)
  • Four (4) Passport size photos (stamped and signed by a JP, Police inspector or higher rank)
  • Original Birth Certificate and Deed Poll (if applicable)
  • National Insurance Scheme (NIS) card
  • Taxpayer Registration Number (TRN) Card
  • Valid photo ID in the form of National ID, Driver’s Licence or Passport must be presented at all times during the recruiting process

You may need the following documents during the recruitment process:

  • Marriage Certificate  (if applicable)
  • Divorce Absolute  (if applicable)
  • Immunization Card
  • Discharge Certificate from previous Government Agencies (where applicable)

NB. All documents must be originals with photocopies taken for verification and inclusion into your file.

The public is being reminded of the following when applying for an entertainment permit.


1. Submit an application at least 10 clear days before the scheduled event.

2. Address the application to the superintendent in charge of the division in which the event is to be held.

3. State the:

i. Applicant’s name, address and contact number clearly

ii. Reason for applying for the permit and the type of event

iii. Date, time and venue of the event

iv. Name of the sound employed to play

v. Name and address of the selector/owner of the sound

vi. Number of persons expected to attend


4. Provide JAMMS, JACAP or KSAC certificates.

Supporting documents must be submitted with the application.

The Superintendent may, upon receipt of an application, grant or refuse to grant permission for the event.


A person aggrieved by:

– A Superintendent’s refusal to grant; or

– Any condition subject to which permission is granted may, within seven days after the date of that decision, appeal in writing to the commissioner of police, who may revoke, vary or confirm such decision subject to such conditions as he or she deems necessary.

Where a person playing upon any musical instrument or equipment in the vicinity of any dwelling house, hospital, nursing home, infirmary, hotel or guest house between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m., in such a manner capable of causing annoyance or the operator is requested to reduce or discontinue the sound by or on behalf of any person who is affected and fails to comply, the operator shall be guilty of an offence. He shall be liable on conviction in a parish court to a fine of up to $20,000, or in default of payment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months.

In the unfortunate event that you have lost your driver’s licence, you must report the loss to the driver’s licence section of the tax office of original issue, or a tax office near you. You will be required to present your tax registration number, one recent passport-sized photograph, identification in the form of your passport, or national ID, and any other particulars, such as driver’s licence number, first issue of licence, copy of receipt as well as your address.


The tax office will then conduct a search of its records of the driver’s licence. You will be asked to complete the relevant form and pay the appropriate fees. You will be advised to return in five working days, as the application must be submitted to the Island Traffic Authority for approval.


Upon return, you will be issued with a substitute driver’s licence.


For more information you may contact the TAJ Customer Care Centre at 1-888-Tax-Help (829-4357) or visit the

Your first action is to stop at the scene, make notes in respect of any tyre marks on the road, positions of the vehicles, take photos if a camera is available and exchange vehicle information and contact details with other driver or drivers.

These basic actions should be taken once those involved in the collision are able to do so; but, if there are any injuries; it is important that the injured limits his/her movement as this may cause further damage.

The Police will need the drivers’ licences, and certificates to confirm registration, fitness and insurance details. If the vehicle involved is a public passenger or commercial vehicle, the road licence must be presented.

It may also be helpful if persons involved in an accident get the name, regulation number and station assigned to the Police Officer who is on the scene of an accident. This information will be needed for the motorist to file a police report.

Any individual who is absent from his or her place of abode, employment or frequency under any unexplained circumstances and for any unusual time period without reasonable communication is considered missing.

  • Take all reasonable and practical steps to ensure that the individual is indeed missing. This may involve making contact with friends, relatives and associates of that person.
  • If you are unsuccessful, make a missing person report to the nearest police station IMMEDIATELY. Do not wait for 24 hours to elapse before making your report.

Provide information to the officer taking the report at the station on the following:

  • The name of missing person and a recent full size photograph of the person with facial features fully visible. (If you are unable to provide a photograph, then the police will assist you in developing a composite photograph);
  • The period the individual went missing and where last seen must be communicated to the investigating officer;
  • A vivid description of the person (the height, weight, color of hair, distinguishing marks such as tattoos, scars and birthmarks);
  • Give a description of the clothing the missing person was last seen wearing;
  • Places frequently visited by this individual and his/her associates;
  • Provide a comprehensive statement to the police of the circumstances surrounding the person going missing, and sign to it.


Ways you may help with a missing person investigation

  • Be involved in any voluntary search team;
  • Assist in the distribution of fliers, stickers, posters or any other community alert activity (flash alert).

If your missing family member or friend has been located, the following will be required:

  • Make a report immediately to the police who will interview the victim and record a written statement.
  • Children under state care will remain in the care of the police who will hand over the juvenile to the Child Development Agency.

The Police will ensure that the returned person will be given emotional support through the Victim Support Unit.

If you are not satisfied with the missing person investigation, contact the local Station Manager. If you are still not satisfied with the response, then you should have dialogue with the Officer in Charge of Criminal Investigation Branch in your division.

If you are stopped by the police, remain in your vehicle with all four windows down and await and comply with ALL instructions. Upon the request of the police, you should present the following documents:

Have these documents ready for traffic stops

  • Drivers Licence
  • Road Licence
  • Carriers Licence
  • Certificate of Insurance
  • Registration Certificate and
  • Certificate of Fitness.

In the event the Certificate of Insurance, Certificate of Fitness and Registration Certificate are not available for production you have five days in which to produce them at a Police Station convenient to you.

NB You MUST produce your Road and Carriers Licence on request.

When you are stopped under other circumstances

First, remember that innocent persons should have nothing to fear. Remain calm. Show no hostility and do not run. Whether you have committed an offence or not, however frightened you may feel, DO NOT RUN AWAY. TO DO SO WILL MAKE YOU APPEAR GUILTY EVEN IF YOU ARE INNOCENT OF ANY MISDEED.

Next, listen carefully to everything you are told, instructed or ordered to do, as you may be requested to repeat EXACTLY what you were told later, should you have a complaint against the police.

It is lawful for any Constable to seize any motor vehicle or trailer used on any public road under the following circumstances:

  • Not being licenced or registered.
  • If the Registration Plates or Licence is obscured, or not easily distinguishable.
  • If any Registration plate is not affixed or kept affixed.
  • Any Public Passenger Vehicles (PPV) or Commercial Motor Carriage (CMC) operating without a Road License or Carriers Licence.

Vehicles seized under the Road Traffic Act are kept by the police or impounded at the governments’ pound, until the Road Traffic Act is complied with. However, those vehicles seized for operating contrary to the Road Licence must be released by the court. The driver must be summoned (not ticketed) before the court at the earliest possible date.

Steps to retrieve an impounded vehicle

  • Pay removal and storage fee to the wrecking company and Transport Authority respectively;
  • Upon payment of these fees, the Transport Authority will give you a document to take to the police station to be endorsed by the senior officer or his designate;
  • Once the officer satisfies himself/herself that the necessary fees have been paid, he/she will endorse the document and;
  • The endorsed document is then taken back to the Transport Authority and the vehicle released.

If arrested, the arresting officer must tell you the reason(s) for the arrest. Unless you are arrested, you cannot be compelled to accompany the member to a police station or to remain there. Once you have been arrested, the member is entitled to search you; females must be searched by females, who may be a member of the public.

When taken to a police station we will assist you to make contact with a person of your choice by telephone or other appropriate means. You are entitled to one telephone call.

Whilst in custody, the police are responsible for your safety and that of your personal belongings. Item(s) connected to the case will be taken from you and recorded as exhibits and subsequently taken before the court.

You are entitled to observe the documentation of your belongings and exhibits and sign accordingly in the appropriate registers. Entries detailing the belongings must be witnessed by other members of the Constabulary and dated. Personal belongings must be returned to you when you are released.

You may be seen by visitors during the prescribed visiting hours and your attorney will be able to visit you at any reasonable time. (Each station has its own prescribed visiting hours).


  • Every person who is charged with an offence is entitled to be granted bail by a Court, a Justice of the Peace or a Police Officer as the case may require;
  • The individual who is charged with an offence should not be held in custody for longer than twenty-four hours without the question of bail being considered;
  • A person charged with murder, treason or treason felony may be granted bail only by a Resident Magistrate or a Judge;
  • Bail should be granted to a defendant who is charged with an offence which is not punishable with imprisonment;
  • A person should not be refused bail unless the Police, the Justice of the Peace or the Judge has good reason for doing so.

Considerations before granting bail

The Police and the Court takes the following matters listed below into consideration before granting bail:

  • The seriousness of the offence, for example, murder, sexual offences and treason;
  • The likelihood of the offence being repeated or another offence will be committed if the person is released;
  • The accused person’s character, antecedent, association and community ties;
  • Whether he/she was granted bail before and he/she absconded;
  • Whether the accused person has a fixed address and can be found;
  • Whether the person poses a threat to the community, or to the Witness;
  • Whether the individual is safer in custody.

Payment of money as a condition of bail

The Bail Act makes provision for the following:

  • A Justice of the Peace or a police officer shall not specify an amount in excess of four thousand dollars ($4000.00) as the payment required of any person as a condition of bail.
  • A resident Magistrate or Judge is NOT LIMITED as to the amount that he/she may impose as a condition of bail.
  • Payment shall be in cash or, if approved by the Court, Justice of the Peace or Police, as the case may be, by manager’s cheque made out to an account.
  • Where bail is granted by a Justice of the Peace or the police, the payment shall be made at a police station to a police officer. The police officer SHALL issue a receipt for the money collected.

Where bail is granted by the Court, the payment shall be made to an Accountant of the Court. The Accountant SHALL issue a receipt for the money collected

Persons who require a Police Record should visit any of the Inland Revenue Department Offices (Tax Office) and pay for the record. The receipt must be in the name of the applicant.

The fees are:

  • JMD $3,000 – Regular Service (21 working days)
  • JMD $6,000 – Express Service (5 working days)
  • JMD $8,000 – Next Day Service (Temporarily Suspended)

The receipt and the following documents must then be taken to the Technical Services Division (Criminal Records Office), Shops 8-10 Kingston Mall, Orange Street, Kingston.

  • Tax Payer Registration Number (TRN)
  • Two passport-sized photographs (should NOT be certified or embossed)
  • One of the following pieces of VALID identification – passport, national identification card or driver’s license
  • If the police record is for overseas/travelling purposes, a VALID passport must be presented

Applications may also be made at the following locations:

56 Duke Street Kingston Mall (Kingston): 876-224-1011

Summit Police Station (St. James): 876-224-1012

Area 2 Police Headquarters Pompano Bay (St. Mary): 876-975-5066

May Pen (Clarendon): 876-224-1014

Opening Hours

Mondays-Thursdays 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Fridays 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

A letter of authorization must be provided if the police record is to be collected by someone other than the applicant. The bearer must have valid identification.


Persons living overseas must submit:

  • Fingerprints (signed and stamped by the police or reputable agency in your country of residence. The name of the person taking the fingerprints must be clearly stated on the document
  • Two passport-sized photographs (May be signed but NOT embossed)
  • Bio-data page of passport (must be certified)
  • If sent by FedEx or DHL, a return label must be sent if the document is to be sent back to the receiving destination via the same method
  • Bank draft/money order made payable to the Commissioner of Police

The fees are:

  • JMD $3,000 – Regular Service (21 working days)
  • JMD $6,000 – Express Service (5 working days)
  • JMD $8,000 – Next Day Service (Temporarily Suspended)

If the applicant does not have a Taxpayer Registration Number (TRN), payment must be made at the: Jamaica Constabulary Force Finance Branch, Ground Floor, N.C.B North Tower, 2 Oxford Road, Kingston 5. The receipt and documents must then be taken to the Technical Services Division (Criminal Records Office), 56 Duke Street, Kingston.

If the applicant has a Taxpayer Registration Number (TRN), payment must be made at any Inland Revenue Department (Tax Office) islandwide, and the receipt and documents taken to the Technical Services Division (Criminal Records Office), 56 Duke Street, Kingston.

A letter of authorization must be provided if the police record is to be collected by someone other than the applicant. The bearer must have valid identification.

 NB: For Police certificates to be used abroad, the passport is the only accepted form of identification


You have the right to see and read the search warrant from the police officer requesting the search. If the police are searching for drugs, you have the right to get a copy of the written directive from a Police sergeant or higher officer authorising the search. Otherwise a search is illegal and must not be conducted unless you give permission.

The police may only search your premises without a warrant, if they are pursuing a suspect or if they have reason to believe that an offence is being, or is about to be, committed on a premises. The officer in charge of the search must compile a list of all vehicles/articles seized and must give you a signed copy. You must follow the officers throughout the search, remaining in the presence of those searching at all times. Remember that refusing entry may make you appear guilty, even when you have nothing to hide.

The police may use reasonable force if, after they show a warrant, you still refuse entry. A curfew/cardon does not suspend the above rights of the citizen in relation to a dwelling house.

Clearly, but in a respectful tone, ask the relevant officer any of the following:

“Why am I being questioned/searched/apprehended/arrested, Officer?”

If you feel that your actions have been misunderstood, say:

Officer, please let me explain:

  • Why I am here 
  • Why I am holding this… (money/knife) 
  • Why I did not respond 
  • Why I hit the man

Even if you feel that you have been wrongfully detained and the police officer does not show you the respect that is your right as a citizen, keep calm and continue to show restraint and self control; then make a complaint to the relevant authority.

Co-operate; do not become aggressive, violent or offensive. Keep a mental note of everything that happens. You may have to take action against the officer(s) later, and you will need to say exactly how you were treated.


  • You have the right to refuse to answer questions until your lawyer is present
  • If you are carried away in a police vehicle, ask a friend or by stander to take down the licence number of the vehicle and tell your family. You also make a not of it
  • Try to get name, rank and badge number of at least one officer who is removing you and remember them.  The badge number is worn above the right shirt pocket. You should only be taken to a police station or police lock-up or, if injured, to the hospital. Ask for a phone-call or to send a message/note right away; keep asking until you reach someone. Say what has occured and where you are

You have the right to march and demonstrate peacefully, provided that

  • You apply for and obtain permission from the officer in charge of the area in which the march or demonstration is to take place
  • You do not march at night (6p.m. – 6a.m.)
  • You do not block the road or stop people from going about their lawful business. Persons can be prosecuted for blocking the roads as well as for aiding and abetting others in doing so
  • No fire is lit or weapons or missiles (including acid) taken to the scene of the demonstration by any persons involved
  • No abusive, threatening or scandalous words are used against the police or any other person(s).

Reporting a lost or stolen passport 

If your passport goes missing by any means a formal report should be made to the nearest Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency (PICA) Location, the Police or in the case of persons overseas the nearest Jamaican Consulate/Mission and the Police as well. This is extremely important to assist PICA in safeguarding your identity and is the first step in getting a replacement passport. You will be required to make a report at the nearest police station to where the incident occurred. Please note that exhaustive enquiries will be made before a replacement passport is issued. If you need to travel urgently please contact PICA’s Customer Services Unit for further information.

Damaged Passports 

Damaged passports must be presented to PICA’s Customer Service for examination and advice before further use. It is a breach of the Passport Act if a passport is wilfully damaged or mutilated, therefore additional investigations may be carried out to determine how the damage occurred.

What is Expungement?

Procedure to Apply for Expungement

The applicant is required to complete an Application Form in duplicate (application forms are available online or at the Customer Service Desk, Ministry of Justice,  61 Constant Spring Road, Kingston 10.

Download Expungement Application form here

Expungement of Criminal Records

Expungement is essentially having a conviction removed from one’s criminal/police record after a specific period of time has elapsed and after certain requirements have been met.

The Statute which authorises the expungement of Criminal Records is the Criminal Records (Rehabilitation of Offenders) Act, 1988.

The principle underlying this provision is that a person who has made a sincere and successful attempt to be law abiding should be given the opportunity to start afresh without being haunted by his/ her unfortunate past.

In order to qualify for expungement, two essential conditions must be satisfied:

1. The offence in question must be one which attracts a non-custodial sentence or sentence of imprisonment not exceeding five years; and

2. The person in question must not have had any other convictions during a specified period of time referred to as the “Rehabilitation Period.”

Specified OFFENCES under schedule of the criminal records (rehabilitation of offenders) act are not eligible of being expunged

What is the Rehabilitation Period?

The Rehabilitation Period is simply the period that a person must wait before an application can be made for the expungement of a conviction. This Period varies according to the sentence imposed by the Court and ranges from a minimum of three years for non-custodial sentences to a maximum of ten years for custodial sentences. The Rehabilitation Period is calculated from the date of the expiration of the term of imprisonment in the case of custodial sentences, and in other cases upon the satisfaction of the Court’s sentence.

An offender cannot apply for an expungement until the relevant Rehabilitation Period has expired. The sentence imposed by the Court will determine the Rehabilitation Period that must elapse. (See the table below for the applicable rehabilitation periods.)

It is important to note that where an offender is convicted of certain offences during the rehabilitation period, the record may become ineligible for expungement.

Rehabilitation Periods for persons eighteen years and older



Where the sentence imposed does not include imprisonment 

Three years (3)

Where sentence imposed is imprisonment not exceeding six months

Five years (5)

Where sentence imposed is imprisonment for more than six months but not exceeding  36 months

Seven years (7)

Where sentence imposed is imprisonment for more than 36 months but not exceeding 5 years

Ten years (10)

Rehabilitation of Offender under the age of 18 years



Where the sentence imposed does not include imprisonment 

Eighteen (18) months

Where sentence imposed is imprisonment not exceeding six months

Thirty (30) months

Where sentence imposed is imprisonment for more than six months but not exceeding  36 months

Forty-two (42) months

Where sentence imposed is imprisonment for more than 36 months but not exceeding 5 years

Five  years (5)

How to Apply for Expungement

  • An applicant must visit the Customer Service Desk at the Ministry of Justice, 61 Constant Spring Road, Kingston 10 and request an application form which should be completed in duplicate or visit the MOJ’s website at and download an application form.
  • An applicant must have his/her fingerprints taken. This can be done at the Criminal Records Office located at 34 Duke Street, Kingston, Summit Police Station (St. James), May Pen Police Station (Clarendon) and Area 2 Police Headquarters, Pompano Bay (St. Mary).
  • An applicant must submit the completed application forms which should include the names, addresses and contact numbers of  two (2) Referees (the Referees should not be family members) and two (2) other persons (who can be contacted on the applicant’s behalf). The applicant should also submit their fingerprints impression, receipt for fingerprint search, two (2) letters of recommendation (from the Referees) and other supporting documentation to the Customer Service Representative at the Ministry of Justice.

The Expungement process

Step 1

  • Upon receipt of the two (2) application forms along with the supporting documents, a Police Report will be requested from the Criminal Records Office.

Step 2

  • Upon receipt of the Police Report, a review of the application will be made by the Criminal Records (Rehabilitation of Offenders) Board and a decision taken.  The applicant will then be advised of the decision in writing. If an applicant requires a CLEAN POLICE RECORD after his/her criminal record has been expunged by the Criminal Records (Rehabilitation of Offenders) Board, he/she MUST PAY for this service which is provided by the Criminal Records Office.

Processing Period

Criminal Records may take at least one year to be expunged.


If an individual’s application is rejected, he/she may re-apply to the Criminal Records (Rehabilitation of Offenders) Board after two years from the date of rejection. If the second application is also rejected, the individual may appeal to the Minister of Justice within sixty days from the date of the second rejection.

Benefits of Expungement

Getting a Job

The most valuable benefit of expunging your criminal record is that it can assist you in getting a better job, securing a promotion, or holding the job you currently have. Nearly every employer does a background check before hiring a job applicant. The check reveals applicant´s records of arrests, convictions and probation status. Having a criminal record is in most cases unfavourable.  But a person whose conviction is expunged can erase the conviction from his/her record.

Personal Satisfaction and Peace of Mind

Although there are many other reasons why expunging your criminal record is definitely to your advantage, the most important one might be your own peace of mind. While you have that mark on your record, it’s hard to feel truly free and rehabilitated. When you clear your record you have a clean slate. Even if you’ve completed your punishment for the offence, it’s sometimes hard to feel like it’s completely behind you while your criminal record is still in the public domain.

Getting a Loan

Some loan agencies or banks may practice policies based on the assumption that a criminal conviction is an indication that someone is less likely to meet his/her financial obligations. That means you may be facing prohibitive interest rates or be unable to get a loan at all. The impact of which may include difficulties in buying a car, a home, or paying for an education. Combine that with the difficulty in getting a job and you could be in a very tough situation.

Expungement of a criminal conviction is an excellent way for you to put the past behind you and close a chapter on a past mistake. It can provide you with a clean slate, piece of mind, and the freedom to pursue career opportunities and access services that may not have been available with a criminal record.